Unfortunately, I won't remember the commercial exactly as it is, but here's my shot at it...
Last night I saw a McDonald's commercial that was, I think, for the Big Mac. There's a guy sitting down to eat a Big Mac, and he has a lot of sauces on the table with him, but then he takes a bite of the Big Mac and makes a pleased sound. Then the narrator's voice says, "Big Macs are so tasty, you won't need any of your _________." (When I first heard it, I thought maybe he said "sauces," but I think he actually said, "salsas.") Then it goes to a logo screen that includes two phrases in Spanish (none in English). I found myself sort of offended by the commercial. It seems obvious that it was aimed at Hispanics/Latinos (not sure here what the correct categorization should be), which isn't what I have a problem with, but it seemed to really be stereotyping in not a good way. Like people of that culture have to have salsa on everything or something. Maybe I shouldn't be offended, I don't know.
Here are two articles about advertising aimed at Hispanic consumers:
Latinos Taste the U.S. Market - Advertising Seeks Hispanic Consumers
Marketing Latin Style You can use the login minnie@mouse.com for this one or try porky@pig.com or bugmenot if you want.
Tuesday, January 31, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment